Pork with Dill and Chillies
- 3 tablespoons sunflower, rapeseed or light olive oil
- 700g pork loin steaks
- Small glass of dry white wine
- 2 tsps root ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 banaba shalllots or 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½-1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 125 ml warm water
- 1-3 fresh red chillies, slit to the stem but left whole
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh dill leaves, chopped
This is an incredibly flavourful dish which also looks stunning, yet easy to make. You can cook the pork steaks with wine as I the recipe and refrigerate until need. A quick stir-fry with the remaining ingredients will give it a fresh taste and flavour.
Remove the rind and cut the steak into 2.5 cm/1-inch strips.
In a wok or frying pan, heat one tablespoon of the oil over a medium-high heat until smoking point and add the pork. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes and splash the wine over, stir-fry until the wine evaporates. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Wipe clean the wok and add the remaining oil. Heat over a low heat and add the ginger, garlic and shallots or onon. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add the coriander and cumin. Cook for 1-2 minutes and add the turmeric and chilli powder. Continue to fry for 4-5 minutes and add the salt. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
Add the pork, chillies and dill. Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat. The finished dish should have the spices, chillies and herbs coating the slices of meat. It is good with any bread or boiled basmati rice.