Minced Lamb Kebabs
- 50g/2 oz unsalted cashew pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons single cream
- 1 slice large white bread, crusts removed and cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2.5 cm/1 in cube of root ginger, roughly chopped
- 1-3 green chillies, roughly chopped (de-seeded if wished)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 450g/1 lb lean minced lamb or beef
- 2-3 tablespoons coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- Sunflower oil for brushing over or shallow frying
These kebabs are perfect on your barbecue during the hot weather. Enjoy al fresco dining and accompany the kebabs with plenty of fresh green salad, any dressing of your choice or just a squeeze of lime or lemon, salt and pepper.
It also makes a substantial meal when wrapped in a tortilla or a chapati served with sliced or chopped onions, cucumber, lettuce and shop bought chilli sauce or tomato ketchup.
Blend the cashews, egg, cream and bread in food processor until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, except the oil and grind until fine. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill for 30-40 minutes.
Preheat the grill to high for 5 minutes. Line a grill pan with foil and brush with a little oil. Divide the mixture into 12 equal sized portions and flatten into about 1 cm (½ “) thick round cakes.
Place them on the prepared grill pan and brush them over with oil.
Grill approximately 7.3 cm (3”) below the heat source for 4-5 minutes.
Turn them over and brush the uncooked side with oil. Grill for a further 4-5 minutes, remove and serve immediately.
Alternatively, shallow fry them in a heavy based skillet for 4-5 minutes on each side until browned.